Billions around the world are gearing up to watch the 2022 FIFA World Cup, which kicks off in Doha, Qatar on Nov. 20. As always, the quadrennial tournament is sure to be a heart-stopping showcase of the world’s best footballers in action. But if you’re lucky enough to be going to see it live and hoping to spend crypto while you’re there, you’ll want to do some advance planning. Qatar isn’t exactly crypto-friendly, but we’ve got your back. Read on for our handy guide on using your crypto to fund your trip to the Qatar World Cup.
Crypto on display at the World Cup
Crypto’s prominence on the global stage has increased dramatically since the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia. As a result, cryptocurrency will be taking center stage in Qatar, despite being banned in the country.
- A crypto exchange is an official sponsor: Singapore-based crypto exchange Crypto.com made waves earlier this year when it announced it would be an official sponsor for the 2022 FIFA World Cup. You won’t be able to miss its branding, which will be splashed liberally around tournament venues.
- An exclusive NFT launch: Crypto.com partnered with fellow World Cup sponsor Visa on an exclusive nonfungible token (NFT) series ahead of the event. Five unique NFTs were auctioned on Crypto.com featuring abstract artistic representations of legendary World Cup goals. Winning bidders also received a high-quality printable version, and sports memorabilia signed by the featured player. All proceeds went to the Street Child United charity.
- Soccer-themed token rises: In the month leading up to the World Cup, soccer-themed cryptocurrency Chiliz (CHZ) nearly doubled in value. That is, until it slid sharply along with the rest of the crypto market shortly before the tournament. The Ethereum-based token powers Socios.com, a decentralized fan engagement platform.
Can I use crypto in Qatar?
You may be wondering, is crypto legal in Qatar? Unfortunately the answer is no. Crypto transactions are banned in the country. But you can still use crypto to fund every part of your trip to the World Cup tournament, and BitPay can help.
- Using the BitPay Card: The BitPay Card is a crypto debit card which is loaded from the BitPay Wallet. Turn crypto in your wallet or Coinbase account into cash in an instant. Use it anywhere that Mastercard is accepted. Sign up and get approved, then start using it right away. Pay with the card online, in-person or use at an ATM to grab cold hard cash. The card syncs with Apple Wallet and Google Wallet for mobile payments on the go.
- Turn crypto into gift cards: Turn your crypto into digital gift cards for hundreds of the most popular global brands. Use in an instant, save for later or send to family and friends.
How to use crypto while you’re in Qatar for the World Cup
Despite crypto’s prominent visibility at the 2022 FIFA World Cup, Qatar isn’t the digital assets haven you may have been hoping for. But worry not, with BitPay you can still spend crypto for all of your World Cup travel and lodging needs, and just about any other shopping you’ll want to do.
You’re already going to the world’s biggest sporting event, so why not make it a truly unforgettable experience with a flight on a private jet? A number of charter companies accept direct crypto payments via BitPay. And the process couldn’t be simpler. Here are two ways to pay for your private flight to Qatar with BitPay.
- Pay directly from your crypto wallet
- Use the BitPay Card to load crypto and spend it like cash with any travel company that accepts Mastercard
Charter companies that accept crypto payments
You have many options for booking a private flight with crypto for this year’s FIFA World Cup, including. These charters accept crypto payments straight from your wallet; no conversion needed!
- airBaltic - Providing luxurious and convenient private flight service to the Baltics, Russia, the Middle East, and Europe.
- Cielo Aviation - Offers a range of private jet charters, air taxis, and helicopters worldwide for groups or individual travelers.
- Fast Private Jet - Provides exclusive, custom flight experiences and a dedicated service team, no matter your destination.
- JetFinder - Private jet charter service for luxury and corporate travel offering flights to over 20,000 destinations worldwide.
- LunaJets - A leading European private jet charter provider, LunaJets boasts simple, fast, and reliable bookings for your global travel needs.
- Monarch Air - Owned and operated by major airline pilots, Monarch Air offers service for occasional travelers or a Jet Program for more frequent private flyers.
- PrivateFly - Premium charter jet service offering private flights between any global airports.
- Simply Jet - Swiss-based private jet chartering company with global destinations and an emphasis on service and quality.
- The Aviation Factory - Offers luxurious, personalized private air travel services with efficient service and destinations around the world.
After each adrenaline-pumping day immersed in the sights and sounds of the World Cup tournament, you’ll want a comfortable hotel room to put up your feet for the night. Whether you’re looking to stay in the middle of the action or off the beaten path, BitPay can help book your entire stay. Choose anything from five-star luxury accommodations to efficient and economical digs.
- Purchase Hotels.com gift cards using your BitPay Wallet. Hotel.com has an extended list of hotels in Doha where the tournament is being staged.
- Use the prepaid BitPay Card to pay for your stay. Check with your hotel to see if you will need an additional credit card for incidentals.
While you’re there
Once you’ve arrived in Qatar, it’s only a matter of time before you’re ready to do some serious shopping, eating and exploring. After all, it’s not every day you’re attending the World Cup in the Middle East, so you’ll want to make the most of it. This is where the BitPay Card really shines. You can use the card at ANY merchant that accepts Mastercard. Meals, experiences, team merchandise at the match – if you can think of it, you can most likely buy it with the BitPay Card.
Another easy way to fund your experience is with gift cards. Load up on gift cards from your choice of hundreds of BitPay partner merchants. Now all you’ve got to do is swipe (or scan) to your heart's content on everything from food and entertainment to travel and team merchandise.