Finally, you can buy plane tickets with Bitcoin. BitPay partners with merchants from across the tourism and travel industry to let you pay with your favorite tokens and coins. Here are a few was you can book flights with Bitcoin and other crypto.
How to Book Flights with Crypto
There are three easy ways to buy plane tickets with crypto.
- Buy airline gift cards from your crypto wallet to use on plane tickets.
- Use the BitPay Card to spend crypto like cash. Book flights with any airline that accepts Mastercard.
- Book directly with airlines or agencies that accept crypto payments.
Buy Airline Gift Cards with Crypto to Fly on Bitcoin
BitPay lets crypto enthusiasts buy airline gift cards with their favorite coins and tokens. For our jet setters we offer several gift cards to get you wheels up.
Delta Air Lines gift card
Use Delta Air Lines gift cards whenever you want to fly to 250+ destinations in over 50 countries across the world.
Mastercard gift card
Mastercard gift cards can be used at any airline or travel company that accepts Mastercard. Spend as much or as little of your gift card balance on airfare and travel expenses.
TripGift gift card
Instantly redeem, search and book online directly with TripGift gift cards.
See all the gift cards you can buy with crypto.
Use the BitPay Card to Book Flights with Bitcoin
The BitPay crypto debit card is the most flexible way to pay for flights with Bitcoin or other cryptocurrency. It works like any other debit card, except funds are loaded from your crypto wallet instead of a bank account. Use the card with any airline or booking service that accepts Mastercard including United Airlines, Delta Air lines, American Airlines, JetBlue, British Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest and countless other domestic and international carriers. It is easy to get started. Simply download the app, load your funds, apply and get approved then start spending anywhere.
The only crypto card for jet setters and globe trotters
Pay for Flights Directly from Your Crypto Wallet
The most straightforward way to buy airline tickets with Bitcoin or another cryptocurrency is to pay directly from your crypto wallet. Cryptocurrency payments can be made via desktop, web or mobile wallet. While the number of airlines that accept crypto is limited right now, BitPay is on a mission to change that.
Airlines and flight booking sites that accept Bitcoin + other cryptocurrency:
- AirBaltic - Book flights for all around the Baltics, Russia and Europe with cryptocurrency.
- Cryptoturismo - Buy plane tickets, reserve hotel accommodations and plan vacation adventures with Bitcoin.
- Destinia - Pay for plane tickets, hotels and travel with Bitcoin or Bitcoin Cash.
- Vueling - Vueling will become the first low-cost airline in Europe to accept cryptocurrencies as a payment method. This service is estiamted to be available by Q3 2023 at www.vueling.com, and for individuals only.
How to pay for airline tickets from your crypto wallet
- Find and select your flights.
- Enter passenger information.
- Select BitPay at checkout as your method of payment.
- You will be presented with a payment page containing a QR code which you can scan with a mobile wallet or click on in order to retrieve the payment details (how much to send and where to send).
- Your transaction will be confirmed and ticket information will be delivered to your email address the same as any other payment method.
Bitcoin travel tip: Want to really travel in style? Book a private jet with one of BitPay’s private charter partners like FastPrivateJet and Private Fly
Bonus: Crypto Friendly Travel Locations
Now that you know how to fly on crypto, it's time to find your dream destination. These are some of the most crypto-friendly locations around the world where you can easily spend crypto on exciting adventures, gourmet food and unforgettable memories.
- El Salvador - El Salvador officially embraced Bitcoin in 2021, making it legal tender. Visit the prominent beachtown El Zonte, dubbed “Bitcoin Beach”, to really experience the crypto economy.
- San Francisco, United States - As a tech hub of the United States, it's not surprising that hundreds of businesses in San Francisco accept crypto payments.
- Malta - Also known as “Blockchain Island”, Malta is home to many fintech companies and businesses that accept cryptocurrency. Use your crypto for beach-side cuisine and island hopping adventures.
- Vancouver, Canada - The first Bitcoin ATM ever was founded in downtown Vancouver. Now, more than 50 businesses in the city accept cryptocurrency payments.
- Prague, Czech Republic - Use crypto to pay at hundreds of businesses, from bars, restaurants, hotels and more.
- Not-so-friendly locations - Algeria, Bolivia, China, Egypt, Nepal and Vietnam don't allow you to use Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies on purchases.
FAQs About Buying Airline Tickets with Crypto
Which airlines accept crypto payments?
airBaltic and Cryptoturismo are BitPay travel partners that allow you to buy airline tickets with cryptocurrency. BitPay also partners with the UATP, a global payment network owned and operated by the world's airlines, to allow the world’s top airlines accept crypto payments. UATP members include JetBlue, Southwest Airlines, Air Canada, Air China, American Airlines, Delta, Etihad and hundreds more. However, currently airBaltic is the only UATP member airline leveraging this partnership to accept crypto payments for airline tickets.
What cryptocurrencies can I use to buy airline tickets?
Accepted cryptocurrencies will vary by airline and travel agency. However, BitPay supports buying airline tickets with Bitcoin, major altcoins, tokens and stablecoins. Currently we support Bitcoin (BTC), Ethereum (ETH), Polygon (MATIC), Bitcoin Cash (BCH), Dogecoin (DOGE), Shiba Inu (SHIB), Litecoin (LTC), XRP (XRP), Dai (DAI), Wrapped bitcoin (WBTC), Gemini USD (GUSD), USD Coin (USDC), Binance USD (BUSD), ApeCoin (APE) and Euro Coin (EUROC).
I am an airline or travel agency and would like to accept cryptocurrency payments. How do I get started?
BitPay makes it easy to accept cryptocurrency for airline tickets and travel bookings. Contact our team to get started.
More travel guides: