We’ve rounded up the latest crypto news for this month's Cryptie. Have you heard about Ethereum's Merge? If not, we've got a quick breakdown of why you need to get excited about Ethereum's most significant update since 2015. And while crypto is down, we have plenty of articles about the increase in retailers' adoption of crypto. Here at BitPay, we are always excited to share the newest merchants accepting crypto.
In This Issue:
BitPay in the Spotlight
This month we are excited to share our latest spotlights. Retailers, including major retailers and specific industries, are still rapidly adopting crypto as a payment option for customers. Check it out:
- 85% of major retailers accept crypto. Read more from PYMNTS.com on why adoption will continue with additional retailers.
- Check out the latest from PYMNTS.com on how merchants continue to accept more crypto even in the current market.
- The yachting world continues to see an increase in the adoption of crypto as more yacht brokers accept crypto.
- Printful, the on-demand printing and demand company will allow customers to pay for their custom clothing, accessories, and more with crypto through BitPay.
- The Spanish airline, Vueling, has announced that customers can start buying flights with crypto in 2023 through BitPay.
- Even though crypto is down, now is the time to invest in cryptocurrency, per BitPay CEO, Stephen Pair. Read more now.
- Dogecoin (DOGE) can now be used to pay for rides with Elon Musk’s The Boring Company (TBC).
Other Industry News
The crypto world continues to be abuzz with new and exciting news. Check out some of the latest happenings:
- Paraguay continues to show support for bitcoin by passing a bill that supports bitcoin mining. The bill creates a tax and regulatory framework for mining.
- Luana Pinheiro, an Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) fighter, announced that she is receiving her entire salary in Bitcoin (BTC). This makes her the first female sportswoman in Latin America to have her entire salary in crypto.
- Bitcoin (BTC) has seen a new high since June. The rise to $24,000 can be credited to traders taking comfort in a rate hike less aggressive than expected from the Federal Reserve.
- Policymakers in the US and UK are delivering on their 2021 promises of creating regulations around crypto.
BitPay Bids Welcome to New Businesses
Welcome to BitPay and the crypto world! Here is a curated list of new merchants accepting crypto:
- Centri - Financial, accounting, and advisory consulting services firm
- Hublot - Swiss Watch Maker
- Panini America - a global leader in officially licensed NFT sports trading cards
- Printful - on-demand printing and fulfillment of custom designs online
- The Boring Company - Elon Musk’s tunnel construction firm
- Vueling - Spanish airline belonging to the International Consolidated Airlines Group
Search the BitPay Merchant Directory for even more merchants accepting crypto!
BitPay Merchant Spotlight: Hublot
Hublot is making headlines with its announcement that consumers can buy their luxury watches with crypto. Along with the announcement of accepting crypto, you can shop their new limited edition watches, Big Bang Unico. Only 200 of these watches with be available for purchase on their website.
Merchant Shout Outs
We love to celebrate our merchants and their impact on the crypto world. Check out this month's spotlights:
- The purpose-built platform for news distribution, News Direct, proudly displays the BitPay Payment logo on its website, so customers know they can pay with crypto.
- Shop.com now allows customers to redeem Bitcoin in their rewards program. Simply shop on their website and earn Bitcoin.
Word of the Month: Staking
Certain cryptos allow investors to stake their crypto, which can be considered a way to earn rewards. Cryptocurrencies using Proof-of-Stake (PoS) use your staked crypto to validate more secure and energy-efficient transactions. The cryptocurrencies that allow staking use it in various ways, complex or simple. Ethereum, the second largest crypto has recently seen a surge, which is most likely due to their upcoming Merge. This Merge will move them from Proof-of-Work to Proof-of-Stake and anyone with 32 ETF can become a validator. Learn more about the Merge.
Product Spotlight: BitPay Extension
The BitPay Extension is our free service that allows consumers to shop anytime, anywhere with your crypto. You can shop for brands like DoorDash, Delta, and Uber Eats. This Chrome Extension makes it easier for consumers to shop with crypto instantly at hundreds of brands with BitPay's new browser extension, and adds an additional benefit to our BitPay merchants! Learn more about the BitPay Extension now.
Marketing Spotlight: Panini America
Panini America, the top global publisher of trading cards, stickers, comics, and children’s magazines, has launched its newest NFT Project, Donruss Optic. You can load your Panini wallet, backed by BitPay, using crypto to buy the Donruss Optic NFTs.
Upcoming Events & Webinars
Did You Know? Ethereum’s Merge
Etherium's Merge will Likely Reduce Environmental Impact: Here’s How
Ethereum’s Merge will transition from proof-of-work (PoW) to proof-of-stake (PoS). Currently, proof-of-work requires miners to use substantial power to validate transactions through complex puzzles, but now with proof-of-stake, validators will stake capital in their ether in a smart contract. Not only will the Merge reduce environmental impact, but it will also increase security. Anyone with 32 ETH can become a validator.
Pacaso Home of The Month: Allure
Allure appeals to the senses: See this tasteful home’s compelling modern lines, touch its beautiful interior elements, smell and hear the ocean breezes — all designed for relaxation just steps from the beach. The home, on gated West Sea Level Drive, offers ocean views, a home movie theater and an infinity pool.
Cost: $1,119,000 for 1/8 ownership
Address: 31851 Sea Level Dr, Malibu, CA
Don’t put your second home dreams on hold for another minute. With Pacaso’s modern and professionally managed co-ownership model, you can own a second home for less cost and hassle. This is true real estate property ownership, not a resort timeshare.